Approximately 10% of pupils transfer in and out of Crockerton School at times other than Reception and Year 6. This is due mostly to the postings of Service Families who live in close proximity to the school and move in and out of the area at relatively short notice.
We believe the key to smooth transition for children is effective communication between child, parents and staff and the creation of a positive and supportive climate for both the parent and the child. Current research suggests that effective transition can be represented by five different ‘bridges’ as follows:
• Learning bridge (the connection between student learning and formative assessment)
• Personal/social bridge (easing pupil anxiety and stress around transfer)
• Curriculum bridge (promoting coherence and continuity of learning)
• Pedagogic bridge (teaching strategies and learning styles – problem solving, questioning, thinking skills)
• Managerial bridge (transfer of data/other information).
Mrs Muir (EYFS/Y1 Teacher and Assistant Head) oversees the transition of service pupils into school.
Managing Parental Absence/Deployment
Helping a child feel safe and able to cope with their feelings about parental absence is important to us. Please let your child’s class teacher know if a parent is absent for a significant length of time as this can sometimes create a variety of mixed emotions in children. We have a number of systems in school to support children with parental absence if needed.
Links to External Websites
Please click the links below for external websites with further information regarding service families.